Monday, February 16, 2009

I hate being ill-y

There are very few things I dislike more in the world than being sick. I was lucky to have a really good immune system growing up, so much so that I can't remember missing a day of middle school or high school due to sickness. Then again, if your high school was MSJ, you wouldn't want to miss a day either. Anyways, I hate the restless sleep and the fever. I can't stand the constant need to blow my nose, which after a while becomes painful. I hate coughing up gross phlegm (one of my favorite words in the English language because of its spelling).

Friday when I woke up all excited for Moosefest, I struggled to get up and just generally felt horrible. Yet I made the sacrifice, lived up Moosefest to the fullest, and then crashed hard that night. So last night should have been a good time to just stay in and not do much, rest up, and take it easy. But that wasn't in the cards. Another night of light partying at Loyola left me tired and in need of a good night's sleep. But thanks to my cold, I didn't get it, and last night was a perfect example of why I hate illnesses.

After only an hour or two of sleeping on the floor of Colleen's common room, I woke myself up with my coughing and went to make myself a glass of ice water. At this point, the fever kicked in, so I put on both of my hoodies and ran my hands under hot water in the bathroom to warm up a bit. Then my body started to ache, not in the sense of pulling a muscle after a workout, but in the sense of sleeping awkwardly on a shoulder. Now I'm coughing, hot and cold, and achy. Could it get any worse? Of course. The common cold also attacks with a terrible runny nose. The whole restless sleep-coughing-water-fever-thing only happened another 3 times last night. Sweet.

So today after returning back to THIH, I showered, took some medication, and tried to sleep it off. I only got more restless sleep, and now here I am at 2:23AM writing a blog instead of writing a 3-4 page paper that I just remembered is due tomorrow. Hopefully the NyQuil will kick in soon.

No comments: